The Exmouth Players, was founded in 1928, by a break away group from the Exmouth & District Drama League.
Rehearsals took place in a Nissen Hut in the grounds of the Cranford Club, ( photo attached) and plays were first produced at the Church Hall, Savoy 1935, then the Pavilion in 1946, when the Players premiered R.F. Delderfield’s acclaimed “Worms Eye View” which broke all Box Office Records.
Miss Jessie Blackmore, a Member of the Exmouth Players, purchased a Billiard Hall in Bicton Street for the Players ( photo attached) In 1953 Bill Sleeman included it in his Photograph Collection. The Exmouth Players Drama Club was situated next door to a Butchers and the Players building at one time was a Slaughterhouse.
In 1984 the Exmouth Players was granted a Theatre License, and have performed all their Productions at the Blackmore Theatre ever since.
The Players have hosted the opening round of The All England Theatre Play Festival since 1979, and are held in high regard with Adjudicators throughout the UK.
In 1999 the Players were in danger of folding as their Landlord wished to retire to Portugal, and a property developer wished to purchase the site. The Members fought to keep their Theatre and after long and protracted negotiations with East Devon District Council were fortunate to obtain an interest free loan from the EDDC and £5’000 Grant from both the District and Town Councils.
We paid off our Mortgage in 2011, and in 2012 we once again produced “Worms Eye View” In 56 years we had gone full circle, from a Nissen Hut to the Blackmore Theatre, Home of the Exmouth Players.